- 10 Fish (Fillets or slices) (King Fish or any firm & chunky fish)
- 250 gms. Onions ( peeled & chopped roughly)
- 2 fresh Tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 tbsp. Cumin Seeds
- ½ tsp Turmeric pwd.
- 1 tsp. Mustard Seeds
- 6 dry Kashmiri Chillies (deseeded)
- ¼ tsp. Clove pwd.
- ¼ tsp. Cinnamon pwd.
- ¼ tsp. Pepper pwd.
- 2 tbsps. fresh Garlic paste
- 1 tbsp. fresh Ginger paste
- 2 Sprigs Curry Leaves
- 100 ml. Sugarcane Vinegar/Vinegar of your choice
- ½ tsp. Sugar (optional)
- 4 tbsps. Vegetable Oil
- Salt to taste
- Water as required
Wash the fillets or slices well.
Apply a little salt & keep aside for further use.
Grind the onions, tomatoes, cumin seeds, turmeric pwd., mustard seeds, garlic & ginger pastes, Kashmiri chillies, clove, cinnamon & pepper powders, into a fine paste, using a little vinegar.
Heat vegetable oil in a heavy bottomed pan & fry curry leaves until brown.
Add the masala paste & fry till the rawness disappears.
Add sufficient water so as to get a gravy of desired consistency & allow to come to a boil.
Reduce heat & gently lower the fish pieces in the gravy.
Let it cook on medium heat for about 5 mins without stirring.
Adjust sugar, salt & vinegar to taste.
Stir gently with a wooden spoon, making sure that the fish does not break.
Cook the fish vindaloo on simmer for another 2 mins. Do not over cook the fish or it may break.
Serve hot with bread, steamed rice or sannas.