Kidney-Beans Gravy (Alasande Ros)
Kidney-beans: 1/2 cup
Grated coconut: ½ (medium sized)
Oil: 3 tbspn
Green coriander: 2 tbspn (finely chopped)
Salt to taste
Black pepper:1 tspn
Mace: 1 strand
Dagadful: 2 petals (remove the seeds between the petals)
Cinnamon: 1 inch
Dry coriander: 2 tbspn
Poppy seeds: 1 tbspn
Red chillies: 5-6
- Soak the Kidney-beans overnight. Pressure cook the Kidney-beans and keep aside.
- Roast all the whole masalas one by one with very little oil.
- Slice one onion vertically and chop the tomato and other onion very finely.
- Heat one tbspn of oil and roast the sliced onion till pink.
- Add the grated coconut and roast till nice aroma of the coconut is released.
- Grind roasted coconut, roasted masalas and turmeric to a fine paste with a little water.
- Heat 2 tblspn of oil. Stir-fry the finely chopped onion for 3-4 mins.
- Add tomato and stir-fry for another 3-4 mins
- Add the ground masala and sauté for 3-4 mins.
- Add the cooked beans along with water.
- Make the gravy to desired consistency (neither too thick nor too thin) by adding additional water if required.
- Bring the gravy to boil, add salt and green coriander leaves and then remove from heat.
- Serve hot with bread, chapatti or rice.