Sorak (Monsoon Special Goan Red Curry)
Sorak is a traditional, plain and simple fresh coconut based red curry which is prepared during the monsoon season.
- ½ fresh Coconut (scraped or grated)
- 3 dry Red Kashmiri Chillies (discard stems & seeds)
- 1 med. Tomato (diced)
- 2 tbsps. dry Coriander Seeds
- ½ tsp. Cumin Seeds
- 3 Peppercorns (optional)
- 3 cloves fresh Garlic
- ¼ tsp. Turmeric pwd.
Grind together the above mentioned ingredients with enough water, to form a fine smooth paste. Transfer to a bowl. Rinse the blender jar with some water and reserve for the curry.
- 1 med. Onion (peeled & diced/sliced)
- 1 fresh Green chilli (slit)
- 2 cups water or as needed
- ½ tbsp. Tamarind Pulp /3 Kokum (Bindi Sola)/3 raw Mango slices
- 2 tbsps. Cooking Oil/ Coconut Oil
- Salt to taste
Heat up a clay pot or regular cooking pot with oil and sauté the onions till soft and translucent.
Add the slit green chilli and the prepared masala paste and sauté for about 2-3 mins.
Add the reserved water, enough water depending on the thickness you desire and give it a good stir.
Let the curry come to a boil and then simmer with the lid closed for about 5 mins.
Add the tamarind pulp or kokum or raw mango slices. Cook for another 2-3 mins.
If using raw mango then cook till the mango is cooked through.
Adjust salt to taste.
Serve hot with steamed rice or Goa boiled rice accompanied with your favorite side dish, pickles and especially dry fish preparations.
Tips & Variations :
- If using raw mango, you can boil the slices till cooked and then add to the curry.
- You can add vegetables if you prefer.
- Sourness is as per personal taste. You may adjust accordingly.
- You may add a combination of tamarind and Bindi Sola or just fresh or dry raw mango slices.