INGREDIENTS (measuring cup used, 1 cup = 250 ml)
- ½ cup moong dal/split & skinned mung lentils
- ½ cup arhar dal/spilt and skinned pigeon pea lentils
- 2 to 2.5 cups water for pressure cooking
- add 1 or 1.5 more water later (optional)
- ½ tsp turmeric powder/haldi
- 5-6 curry leaves (optional)
- 1 tsp crushed cumin or cumin powder/jeera powder
- a pinch of asafoetida/hing
- 1 cup fresh grated coconut - ground with little water
- salt as required
- pick, rinse the lentils couple of times in water.
- pressure cook the lentils till they soft.
- mash them with a spoon or ladle.
- add coconut paste to the cooked lentils and mix well.
- then add cumin powder, turmeric powder & curry leaves and salt.
- mix again.
- add water to thin the dal if required.
- keep the dal on the stove and let it simmer for 10-12 minutes.
- serve varan bhaat with steamed rice and some ghee.
instead of combination of moong or arhar dal, you can also add 1 cup of arhar or moong dal instead.